Your goal to live a healthier, more active lifestyle was set by you, but, that doesn’t mean you’re in it alone. There is an easy solution to help you have fun, work out harder, and stay motivated: FIND AN EXERCISE BUDDY! Here are some of the benefits of working out with a partner.
- ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT. If you have a commitment to meet someone at a specific time and place to exercise, you’ll have an easier time following through! At the same time, your buddy can also support your fitness goals.
- MOTIVATION. By your workout partner supporting your goals and providing you with accountability, you may find yourself feeling more motivated and excited to exercise.
- FRIENDLY COMPETITION helps you work out harder. Exercising with a buddy may produce a little friendly competition to help push you to challenge yourself during exercise. Just be sure to exercise within your physical limitations–exercising too hard is counterproductive and can cause accidents or injuries.
- MAKES EXERCISE FUN. Having someone to socialize with can help your workout go by faster and seem easier since you’ll probably be focusing on your conversation.
- KEEPS YOU SAFE. Some exercises require you to exercise with a buddy like certain lifting exercises, but even those that don’t such as walking, jogging, swimming, etc. are made safer with a companion.
- BOOSTS YOUR CONFIDENCE. You’ll have your own personal cheerleader celebrating your accomplishments and encouraging you through slip-ups and setbacks.
Those are a few simple benefits of getting yourself a workout partner, and I’m sure you could probably come up with a few more. But you may also be asking… what exactly qualifies as a good workout buddy? Good question. Here are some of the things you should look for in a workout buddy…
- YOU LIKE THEM. A good workout buddy has to be someone you actually like. Your workout partner could be incredible in every other respect, but if you don’t actually like them as a person, you’re not going to stick to the workouts.
- GOOD ATTITUDE. Positive and friendly, solution-focused and they are working for better results. Respects your time and are dependable.
- COMPATIBLE STYLES OF MOTIVATION. If you need a cheerleader to get motivated and they need a drill-sergeant, then it may not work out. Make sure you share the same motivational style.
- SHARE SIMILAR GOALS. If you want to get to 14% body fat and they want to become a yoga expert, there’s a mismatch there – you really should share similar goals to make this work. It’s also important that your workout buddy is as committed, and ideally, more committed to the goal than you are. They also need to be someone who won’t cave in on those days where you don’t want to work out – they need to be able to call you on any excuses you make and not back down.
- COMPATIBLE SCHEDULES. This is a no-brainer. If your schedules never coincide then it’s most likely not going to work.
You owe it to yourself to be picky when you choose your workout buddy. When looking for a workout buddy make this mental checklist. And remember, they should be checking the same checklist off about you, so you also need to rise to the occasion – it takes two to tango. It’s quite a laundry list of things to look for, but you’ve got to be picky, after all, a great workout buddy is worth their weight in gold.
Photo Credit: Scott Griessel | Dreamstime.com – <a href=”https://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-photo-happy-strong-women-image23221005#res17225718″>Happy Strong Women</a>