Do you find it difficult to squeeze a workout into your day? If so, you’re not alone. According the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nearly 50% of Americans do not meet the Physical Activity Guidelines for aerobic activity.
But it’s important to get enough exercise because of the many health benefits. Here are a few strategies to help you find time to workout even during your busiest days:
We do the things we deem most important. But where does your health fit into your priorities? People who regularly exercise understand the importance of consistent movement to their current and future health. Once you decide that regular exercise is important, it’s much easier to fit it into your life.
Make exercise part of your routine by scheduling it like you would other appointments. Here are a few tips:
- Choose a time that works for you and commit to that time daily.
- Attend a scheduled class, like Silver Sneakers, The Ride or Functional Movement.
- Hire a personal trainer to hold you accountable and keep your workouts safe, effective and fun.
MAKE IT FUN
Who wants to do something they hate? No one! Here are a few ways you can make exercise something you look forward to doing:
- Find classes and activities that make you feel good. Love to dance? Join our Move and Groove class. Want to release pent-up energy? Try Crunch and Punch or Core and More. Need something soothing? Yoga or Gentle Chair Stretch might be your thing.
- Make it social and workout with a friend or companion. Together you can challenge and motivate each other.
- Do the things you love whether that includes horseback riding, cycling, walking trails, dancing or something else. You might even try something new. Whatever you do, find joy in the journey.
DO WHAT YOU CAN
On some days, there’s just too much going on, and you might only be able to take a short walk or do a few pushups. It’s important to remember that every little bit helps. But avoid letting inactivity snowball. When you’re able to exercise again, get right back into it.
When you make exercise a priority, you’ll find it’s much easier to fit it in every day. Shoot to be consistent, one day at a time!